Saturday, June 16, 2007

How do you do it?

I'm beginning to crack. I'm skimming more and more, compiling a few quick samples rather than building a useful app, adding more blogs than I drop on more and more subjects. I know other people have expressed this, so....

How do you handle it? It must be easier when, say, WCF development is your job. You are surfing one of the first waves of a new technology. I'm more of a generalist in my job. I may have to handle "my system doesn't work" questions as well as "I need to know how many angels danced on the head of pin between June and December of last year". Inbetween, I try to keep my mind alive by enhancing our main web app, writing a utility, or exploring new technologies.

But my natural curiosity takes me too far, into too many areas. It's just all so fascinating! So, what do you do when it's not your job to keep up with technology but you crave doing it? Do you use will-power and make yourself stick with a few things at a time? Explore F# just up to the point that you know you could rewrite your query app in it, even if you don't actually do it?

I've heard you talk about the issue - what do you actually do to handle information overload?

No comments: